Stolen Vehicles

If your vehicle is stolen and has not been recovered, DVLA will usually allow you to apply to transfer the registration number to another vehicle or onto a Retention Document, assuming certain condition are met. In order to qualify for the concession, the theft must have been notified to the police and recorded at DVLA as stolen between 6 and 30 months ago.

In addition, at the time of the theft the vehicle must have had a current test certificate (e.g. MOT) and have tax. The DVLA will also require a letter from your insurers confirming that they have no objection to the number being re-issued (This must be provided because once insurers have settled your claim, they have a rightful claim to the vehicle should it be recovered).

To sell a registration number, you will need to send us the Registration Certificate V5C along with copies of any paperwork relating to your reporting the crime to DVLA and the Police to show the date it was reported.

Back to top